Tales of doubts and mysteries.


by Emilia Capasso



Mrs Patricia


Chris had driven for two hours looking for a gas station. Meanwhile, the night was falling and the snow all around was changing its pale colour into a white-blue. A thick and eerie silence gave us an atmosphere of enchantment among the dominating Alps. Looking through my half foggy window, I could only see the shadows of the trees and of the bushes and that narrow street full of curves that I had started to hate.
It had to be our “love weekend” to celebrate our first year together, but in the end we had lost, was it so difficult to admit? Chris had no idea about the place we were and neither did I. Besides the petrol was about to run out.
-Be relaxed.- He said watching me deeply with his big brown eyes. -There must be a gas station somewhere nearby.-
-What if we don't find it?-
-We will sleep in the car, strongly embraced, under this starry sky.-
I smiled at him. How much I did loved him? He was always so quiet, so secure. I suddenly remembered that there was a tartan blanket in my suitcase. We could have used it if necessary, but I'd rather hoped that we would have found a gas station or better a small hotel as soon as possible.
-Look at there!- Chris said. On the right of the street, lost in the snow, there was a nice stone house from where the smoke of a chimney revealed the presence of someone. Chris pulled over, turned off the engine and walked two steps before me towards our so much coveted refuge.
The woman who opened the door was in her fifties. Not very tall, slim and elegant in her grey woollen dress, she greeted us with a nice and delicate smile.
-Good evening, Madame. We are sorry to disturb you, but we were looking for a gas station. Do you know if there is one nearby?- Chris said.
-I'm sorry, but I think the nearest is 20 km from here.-
-Twenty what?- I cried. -How is it possible?-
The woman gently smiled. -Do you want to come in? It's really cold outside.-
-Thanks.-
The room was simply furnished: a wooden table with four chairs; two dark green armchairs in front of an old fireplace; a white rug with a scary bear head; a long cupboard and finally a couple of portraits, representing a man and a woman dressed as in the late 19h Century. What seemed weird to me, were the two big petrol lanterns at the borders of the cupboard, working as the only source of light, except for the fireplace, of course. “Maybe she hasn't paid the light.” I thought to myself. But it was not my busyness at all. Another thing that was almost unusual, was the absence of a guard dog. She was there all alone in the mountains, no houses all around, no shops, no nothing. How could she stand there so quiet? My female curiosity was soon stopped by my fiancé's male pragmatism.
-I'm afraid we are lost. And, maybe it will seem a little bit rude, but, could you host us only for a night, since it's almost dark outside and besides, I don't think we could make more than ten kilometres with my car.-
-But of course! If you don't mind sleeping on those armchairs: unfortunately, I don't have a guest room.-
-That's very kind of you!- I said
Ten minutes after we were sitting around the table sipping a warm cup of tea and tasting some delicious home made biscuits. To tell the truth, I would have preferred a huge pizza or a steak and chips, and I could only imagine Chris' hunger, but no pots were on the cooker, so no dinner at all.
Anyway we were already lucky to have found a house to spend the night. “Be positive, not critical as always.” I scolded myself.
Mrs Patricia was really kind. She listened to our talking with sincere curiosity and pleasure.
We told about our visit in Aosta, our shopping the day before, the good restaurants, and also of that deer suddenly appeared on our way in that afternoon. Fortunately, Chris had avoided to run it over, but we were really scared! When Mrs Patricia heard about it, her face became pale and hardened. It was as if she had understood something that we completely ignored.
-I thing I'll go to bed now- she said.
I glanced at my watch: it was 9.20!
-You can stay awake as long as you wish, of course.- she added, as if she had read my thoughts.
-Don't you think she is a little bit weird?- I whispered to Chris when she disappeared on the first floor.
-Oh yes, like all the women!-
-Oh, you stupid!-

(to be continued)


Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog